Beste Art is the online name for Patrick Beste, an individual artist who can be contacted by mail at:
798 St Andrews Circle
Ashland, OR 97520
Our website address is: https://www.besteart.net/
1.0 Our core beliefs regarding user privacy and data protection
- User privacy and data protection are human rights
- We have a duty of care to the people who share their data with us
- Data is a liability, it should only be collected and processed when absolutely necessary
- We loathe spam as much as you do!
- We will never sell, rent or otherwise distribute or make public your personal information
2.0 Relevant legislation
Along with our business and internal computer systems, this website is designed to comply with the following national and international legislation with regards to data protection and user privacy:
- UK Data Protection Act 1988 (DPA)
- EU Data Protection Directive 1995 (DPD)
- EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR)
- Australian Privacy Act 1988 (APA)
This site’s compliance with the above legislation, all of which are stringent in nature, means that this site is likely compliant with the data protection and user privacy legislation set out by many other countries and territories as well. If you are unsure about whether this site is compliant with your own country of residences’ specific data protection and user privacy legislation you should contact our data protection officer (details of whom can be found in section 9.0) for clarification.
3.0 Personal information that this website collects and why we collect it
This website collects and uses personal information for the following reasons:
3.1 Site visitation tracking
Like most websites, this site uses Google Analytics (GA) to track user interaction. We use this data to determine the number of people using our site, to better understand how they find and use our web pages and to see how they explore the website.
Although GA records data such as your geographical location, device, internet browser and operating system, none of this information personally identifies you to us. GA also records your computer’s IP address which could be used to personally identify you but Google do not grant us access to this. We consider Google to be a third party data processor (see section 6.0 below).
Disabling cookies on your internet browser will stop GA from tracking any part of your visit to pages within this website.
3.2 Our blog
Should you choose to add a comment to any posts that we have published on our blog, the name and email address you enter with your comment will be saved to this website’s database, along with your computer’s IP address and the time and date that you submitted the comment. This information is only used to identify you as a contributor to the comment section of the respective blog post and is not passed on to any of the third party data processors detailed below. Only your name will be shown on the public-facing website although if the supplied email address is linked to a Gravatar account, your Gravatar photo may also be displayed.
Your comment and its associated personal data will remain on this site until we see fit to either 1.) remove the comment or 2.) remove the blog post. Should you wish to have the comment and it’s associated personal data deleted, please email us here using the email address that you commented with.
If you are under 16 years of age you MUST obtain parental consent before posting a comment on our blog.
NOTE: You should avoid entering personally identifiable information to the actual comment field of any blog post comments that you submit on this website.
3.3 Contact forms and email links
Should you choose to contact us using the contact form that appears at the bottom of each of our pages or an email link like this one, none of the data that you supply will be stored by this website or passed to / be processed by any of the third party data processors defined in section 6.0. Instead the data will be collated into an email and sent to us over the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). Our own SMTP servers are protected by TLS (sometimes known as SSL) meaning that the email content is encrypted using SHA-2, 256-bit cryptography before being sent across the internet. The email content is then decrypted by our local computers and devices. However, not all mail servers are secured in such a way. Therefore, we would suggest that you always consider email as an insecure medium and not include personal, confidential or otherwise sensitive information within an email.
3.4 Email newsletter
If you choose to join our email newsletter, the email address that you submit to us will be forwarded to MailChimp who provide us with email marketing services. We consider MailChimp to be a third party data processor (see section 6.0 below). The email address that you submit will not be stored within this website’s own database or in any of our internal computer systems.
Your email address will remain within MailChimp’s database for as long as we continue to use MailChimp’s services for email marketing or until you specifically request removal from the list. You can do this by unsubscribing using the unsubscribe links contained in any email newsletters that we send you or by requesting removal via email. When requesting removal via email, please send your email to us using the email account that is subscribed to the mailing list.
If you are under 16 years of age you MUST obtain parental consent before joining our email newsletter.
While your email address remains within the MailChimp database, you will receive periodic newsletter-style emails from us. These newsletters are generally brief and are sent only when Patrick Beste / Beste Art has news to share, such as a blog post regarding a newly completed painting or special exhibition / event announcement.
3.5 Online Shop
If you make a purchase of artwork from the Beste Art online shop, we will collect the data you enter for the purpose of completing your transaction. You may choose to create an account with us to facilitate future transactions. If you opt to create an account, we will store the data you enter as long as your account is active. See Section 4.0 below for further details.
We collect information about you during the checkout process on our store.
What we collect and store
While you visit our site, we’ll track:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
- Shipping address: we’ll ask you to enter this so we can, for instance, estimate shipping before you place an order, and send you the order!
When you purchase from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number, credit card/payment details and optional account information like username and password. We’ll use this information for purposes, such as, to:
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your account for our store
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
If you create an account, we will store your name, address, email and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders.
We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for XXX years for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing and shipping addresses.
We will also store comments or reviews, if you choose to leave them.
What we share with others
We share information with third parties who help us provide our orders and store services to you:
Stripe sets three cookies in order to facilitate the transactions required to purchase art from Beste Art’s online gallery shop. Below are the names of the cookies and links you can follow to review information about the data they collect:
4.0 How we store your personal information
As detailed in section 3.2 above, if you submit a comment to a blog post published on this website some personal information will be stored within this website’s database. This data is currently stored in an identifiable fashion; a limitation of the content management system that this website is build on (WordPress). In the near future we aim to change the storage of this data to a pseudonymous fashion meaning that the data would require additional processing using a separately stored ‘key’ before it could be used to identify an individual.
Pseudonymisation is a recent requirement of the GDPR which many web application developers are currently working to fully implement. We are committed to keeping it as a high priority and will implement it on this website as soon as we are able to.
- We also collect IP addresses, name, email, phone, address, and other information needed to process online store transactions and contact form submissions.
- We collect this data solely for the purpose of completing the information transaction you have requested, whether it is a purchase, contact form submission, newsletter optin, or comment.
- Our online shop is configured to retain information for a limited period of time, and to remove personal data when it’s no longer needed for processing
- If you create an account via our online shop, we will retain any data you have entered as long as your account remains active.
- If there is no activity in your account for a period of 12 months (one year), your personal data will be removed and your account will be cancelled.
- Information associated with pending orders will be retained for 31 days to give you time to complete your purchase. After 31 days, all information will automatically be removed from our system..
- Information associated with failed or cancelled orders will be retained for 14 days. After 14 days, all information will be automatically be removed from our system..
- Information about completed orders will be retained for a period of six months. After six months, this information will automatically be removed from our system.
5.0 About this website’s server
This website is hosted by GreenGeeks within a US data center located in Phoenix, AZ.
Some of the data centre’s more notable security features are as follows:
- SAS 70 Type 1 certified
- Dual-city grid power feeds, plus battery backup with automated transfer switch and on-site diesel generator
- FM 200 server-safe fire suppression system with early pre-fire detection mechanism
- Biometric and key card security system including man-traps and rack level locking mechanism
- Staffed 24×7 by SingleHop data center technicians and engineers and monitored remotely
Full details of GreenGeeks’ data center can be found here.
All traffic (transferral of files) between this website and your browser is encrypted and delivered over HTTPS.
We have implemented security on our website using the BulletProof Security plugin to protect the website and you from bad actors. This plugin does not collect any personal data from you, but does record your IP address. Please visit this article to learn about IP addresses: https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-reveal
Please visit this article to learn what information could be learned about you with your IP address: https://whatismyipaddress.com/
We may use your IP address to determine whether you are a potential hacker. Your IP address may also be used to troubleshoot an order that doesn’t complete as expected.
6.0 Our third party data processors
We use a number of third parties to process personal data on our behalf. These third parties have been carefully chosen and all of them comply with the legislation set out in section 2.0. All of these third parties are based in the USA and are EU-U.S Privacy Shield compliant.
7.0 Data Breaches
We will report any unlawful data breach of this website’s database or the database(s) of any of our third party data processors to any and all relevant persons and authorities within 72 hours of the breach if it is apparent that personal data stored in an identifiable manner has been stolen.
8.0 Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both Administrators and Shop Managers can access:
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
Our team members have access to this information to help fulfill orders, process refunds and support you. Below are the team members with access and their roles in stewardship of your information.
8.1 Data Controller
The data controller of this website is:
798 St Andrews Circle
Ashland, OR 97520
8.2 Data Protection Officer
Mrs. Hannah West
Email: [email protected]
Please contact Mrs. West if you would like to discuss data-related issues, request a download of the personal data associated with your activity on this website, or to remove the personal data associated with your activity on this website.